As you age, your muscles tighten and range of motion in the joints can be minimized. This can put a damper on active lifestyles and even hinder day-to-day, normal motions. Tasks that used to be simple, such as bending down to tie your shoes or reaching for a can off of the top shelf, now become extremely difficult. A regular stretching program can help lengthen your muscles and make daily living activities easier.
Benefits of Stretching
It does not have to involve a huge time commitment, but stretching can end up giving you huge results! Here are just a few of the benefits you can expect from a regular stretching program:
- Reduced muscle tension
- Increased range of movement in the joints
- Enhanced muscular coordination
- Increased circulation of the blood to various parts of the body
- Increased energy levels (resulting from increased circulation)
What About Massage?
Stretching and massage are two effective techniques that play a beneficial role in both strength training and flexibility training. Massage and stretching can help you achieve the following benefits:
- Lengthens muscle fibers that have contracted from lack of use or excessive use
- Restores flexibility to the muscles after injury
- Restores muscle balance
- Warms the muscles
- Increases overall flexibility
The benefits of stretching can be felt throughout the body. It helps stimulate the digestive organs, reduces inflammation in joints, relieves tension, improves concentration, improves posture, and energizes the body.
So whether you do stretches on your own, come in for a massage, or even both, make stretching out your muscles a daily activity.
Stay healthy and active this holiday season!